Widely recognized as one of San Francisco’s top personal injury attorneys, Mary Alexander established her stellar reputation in the legal community after obtaining some of the largest and highest profile verdicts and settlements in the state of California over the course of her career.
She earned a national reputation for her work protecting consumer rights, and her dedication to her clients has won her numerous awards from attorneys, clients, legal publications and others.
Ms. Alexander is a Past-President of both the Association of Trial Lawyers of America and Consumer Attorneys of California, and her lobbying work for consumer rights is matched only by her success on behalf of her clients.
Mary has built a notable record of success, both before juries and at the negotiation table. Some of the highlights include:
- She was a lead attorney working tirelessly to negotiate a $305 million settlement on behalf of ten California counties against several paint companies involved in the nearly 20-year lawsuit over lead paint in California. Ms. Alexander worked on this case for its entirety with the settlement ending two decades of litigation, which included a $1.5 billion bench verdict.
- A $45 million verdict for a San Mateo victim who had her neck broken and as a result became a quadriplegic who was paralyzed for life when her car was struck by a driver speeding through a red light.
- A $21.4 million jury verdict on behalf of the families of two brothers who died of cancer as a result of their exposure to the known cancer-causing chemical benzene.
- A $13.3 million verdict for a severely injured client in Hall v. Yosemite Park and Curry Company, in which faulty bicycle brakes triggered a crash resulting in quadriplegia.
- A $5.5 million settlement for a long-haul trucker who was run over by another trucker while outside the cab of his rig safely locking and inspecting his load.
- A $4 million settlement in a San Francisco Municipal Railway accident, Landsverk v. CCSFA.
- $4 million settlement in a pedestrian accident, Ruszak v. State Farm.
But it’s not just the results that have made Mary one of California’s most sought-after trial attorneys. It’s also a unique combination of capabilities and compassion that few lawyers can bring to their cases – or their clients. A scientist before she studied law, Mary leverages her technical background in every matter she takes on, and is well known for her ability to explain complicated theories to juries – and for using high-tech courtroom exhibits that help make difficult points easy to comprehend. She’s taken on cases other lawyers won’t, or can’t – such as child sex abuse cases – and assisted clients from all walks of life. Because someone who has been harmed is someone who should be helped.
Along the way, Mary, a graduate of Santa Clara University Law School, has been recognized repeatedly by her peers, and the press, for her work. Her awards and honors include:
- Being named a Top 100 Attorney in California by the Daily Journal in 2018 and 2019
- Named one of the San Francisco Bay Area’s “Top 10 Trial Attorneys” by the San Francisco Chronicle
- Named a Northern California Super Lawyer every year since in 2006
- Recognized as one of the 2019 Top Women Lawyers in California and a 2019 Top 30 Plaintiff Attorney in California by the Daily Journal
- Past editor-in-chief of Forum, a publication of the Consumer Attorneys of California
- Personal Injury — Plaintiff
- Past Editor-in-Chief of Forum, Consumer Attorneys of California Publication
- For an extensive list of Mary’s cases, please click here