The Changing Landscapes Scholarship
During her career as a San Francisco personal injury attorney, Mary Alexander has lived through and experienced significant changes in her community. These changes are occurring not only in San Francisco, but also across our entire country. In an attempt to recognize students adapting to changes of the 21st century, Mary Alexander & Associates is proud to introduce the Changing Landscapes Scholarship.
With the rise of technology over the past few decades and a combination of other factors in our modern society, many cities across the country have experienced drastic changes. These changes may include a population boom, innovative technology, economic hardship, changing demographics, or a significant singular event. So that we can successfully improve our communities for the future, it is important to understand how these changes are impacting individuals, and how communities are finding new ways to adapt to overcome modern-day challenges.
To apply for this scholarship, please describe a significant change you and/or your family members have lived through and experienced in your community. Discuss new or old laws, education revisions, or other social changes that have impacted your community and family. Explain the long-term effects of this change and how your city’s evolving landscape has impacted the way in which members of your community live their daily lives.
Once all submissions have been received, the entries will be reviewed, and one student will be selected to receive a $1,000 award. The award will be given to the person who best describes the changes they’ve experienced in their community; and who can best explain how these changes have affected their home, neighborhood, and city as a whole.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant is currently enrolled in or will be attending an accredited community college, undergraduate, or graduate program within the United States. High school seniors are eligible to apply if they will be continuing their studies in the upcoming semester.
- Academic achievement as reflected by a minimum 3.0 GPA.
The applicant must write a 750-word essay.
In order to apply for the Changing Landscapes Scholarship, an applicant must submit the following items on or before June 30, 2020:
- A Resume, including up-to-date contact information
- A current academic transcript, clearly stating a cumulative GPA
- A 750-word essay explaining how your city’s landscape has evolved in the 21st century and how this change has had an impact on how individuals in your community live their daily lives.
All application materials should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before June 30, 2020. Submission emails must have the subject line “[Applicant Name] – Changing Landscapes Scholarship 2020.”