Workplace Accident Prevention Tips
On December 18, a man who loaded and unloaded containers from ships in Oakland was injured when some containers came loose and struck him in the leg. Firefighters got the man off the ship and into an ambulance. He was then taken to a local hospital where he was listed in stable condition. This man’s accident is a reminder of how important it is to be safe at work. There are several steps you can take to be safer at work, particularly if you work around heavy machinery.
- Make sure you are properly trained in using the equipment before attempting to use it. This includes things like a backhoe or forklift.
- Always watch for other people when using dangerous equipment, and when walking around in areas where others are using dangerous equipment, watch out for people using the equipment.
- Make sure your tools and other equipment are in good condition before using them.
- Use all equipment properly, and do not take unsafe shortcuts. For example, it might be more convenient to stack a few boxes on top of each other to reach something on a high shelf, but a ladder or a footstool is a safer option.
- Never try to show off to your co-workers by trying to lift something that is too heavy to safely lift on your own. Have someone else help you move the item.
- If you are working in an area where hard hats, safety goggles, and other safety gear are required, always wear the proper safety gear.
- Never stack boxes, crates, or other items too high. They could fall over, hurting you or someone else.
Unfortunately, workplace accidents sometimes happen, even when you are trying to be safe. Fortunately, our personal injury lawyers in San Francisco handle workplace accident cases as well as other personal injury claims. If you were injured at work, contact us to see how we can help.