Close Menu

When Can I File a Negligent Security Lawsuit in Los Angeles?

When Can I File a Negligent Security Lawsuit in Los Angeles?If you have been harmed as a result of a criminal act, you may be wondering how you will pay for all of your medical expenses and related damages. Pursuing compensation from the criminal may not be possible. The criminal may have virtually no funds available, and he/she may be in prison. However, other parties may be liable from which you might still be able to pursue compensation from. If you were injured on someone else’s property, you may be able to file a negligent security lawsuit in Los Angeles.

If you would like to learn more about this type of lawsuit, you should reach out to an experienced attorney in Los Angeles. Ideally, you should work with a personal injury lawyer who has experience with negligent security lawsuits. Our legal professionals can explain what you need to do, who you can sue, and when you can sue. With our help, you can pursue a positive legal outcome and a settlement that covers your damages, including your medical expenses.

You Can Sue if the Property Owner Was Aware of Past Criminal Acts

The concept of “awareness” often plays a key role in personal injury lawsuits, and it is the same with negligent security actions. You may be able to sue if the property owner or business owner was aware of past criminal acts on the property, before yours, and did nothing to prevent them.

For example, a fast-food restaurant may have witnessed a string of assaults within a single week. If someone becomes injured the following week by a similar criminal act, the question becomes whether that establishment could have (and should have) done something to address this issue so that these criminal acts would not keep occurring. Under the right circumstances, an attorney could successfully argue in court that the establishment should have and had the duty to upgrade its security in some way. You can discover proof of this “awareness” by obtaining police reports of past criminal acts that occurred on the property.

You Can Sue if the Neighborhood is Known for Criminal Acts

You may also be able to sue a business if the surrounding area is known as a high-crime neighborhood, regardless of whether past criminal acts had occurred at that specific business. For example, a business owner might decide to open an ice cream store in an area known for gang activity and rampant shootings. If that ice cream store failed to “do its homework,” so to speak, it may have neglected to put in place the necessary security measures to run its business in this area. If people are then harmed on their property, injured victims may be able to sue because a “reasonable” business should have known about the high-crime area and therefore had the duty to take steps to put in place the necessary security measures to run its establishment as to ensure the safety of its customers, in light of the high likelihood of potential criminal in the vicinity.

You Can Sue if the Business is of a Certain Type or Character

Certain businesses are more likely to attract criminals, as the owners of these types of businesses should be aware. For example, these businesses include bars, nightclubs, and casinos. When money and liquor are flowing freely, security guards tend to be of utmost importance. If these establishments fail to hire adequate security, you may be able to sue regardless of where the establishment is located, or whether they have experienced criminal acts in the past.

Book a Consultation with a Qualified Attorney Today

If you have been searching the Los Angeles area for a qualified, experienced personal injury attorney, look no further than Mary Alexander & Associates. We have helped numerous victims file negligent security lawsuits, and we can guide you toward a positive legal outcome in an efficient, confident manner. Being a business or property owner comes with the responsibility of ensuring it is safe for those members of the public they invite. If these business or property owners fail in this duty of care and you are injured as a result, you may be entitled to pursue an action against them. Book your consultation today.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn